Public Opinion Poll Demonstrates Broad Support For Motion Picture Production in British Columbia
The Motion Picture Production Industry Association of BC (MPPIA) today released the findings of a Mustel Poll commissioned by industry to measure understanding and support for motion picture production in British Columbia’s economic mix.
ai???Across the board, the results of this poll demonstrate that British Columbians are aware of the billion dollar industry that we have built here in British Columbia over the past three decades and they understand the far reaching benefits of a robust production sector,ai??? says MPPIA Chair Peter Leitch.
Leitch adds, ai???More importantly, the results show that British Columbians see knowledge based economic diversification as a high priority in this province, and see motion picture production as a key economic driver, second only to tourism ‘ which is also boosted by a healthy production sector.ai???
Key highlights of the Mustel Poll include:
- A total of 85% of BC residents support encouraging growth of the film industry, which is stronger than support for most other industries measured.
- The large majority, 92%, believes the film industry is at least somewhat important to the province’s economy, with six-in-ten who consider it to be ai???very’ or ai???extremely important’. Only 7% feel the industry is unimportant to BC’s economy.
- A total of 83% support provision of government incentives in order to keep and encourage film production in BC, and help it be competitive with Ontario and Quebec. Only 11% are opposed
- A total of 40% of BC residents know someone who works in the film industry, with the proportion increasing to approximately 50% or more in areas of Metro Vancouver.
- Residents estimate that approximately 27% of BC’s population either directly or indirectly benefits from investment and spending that is made by the movie or film industry in BC.
- Resident groups that provide the strongest levels of support for incentives include: women, those 35 years of age or over, and Metro Vancouver and Southern Interior residents
To view full poll results click here: B449 MPPIA Report
We Create BC is a communications initiative of MPPIA to inspire understanding, pride and ownership of BC’s motion picture industry within the province’s vibrant creative economy.